Saturday, June 11, 2005

Reading and other things that are bad for your mind

Delicious things are starting to happen in my mind. Uncomfortable, unexpected, messy things...but delicious none-the-less, because to me a mind being turned upside down and shaken is a mind that will shortly experience some kind of transformation and in my book that is a very tasty event indeed.

Some background may be necessary...I don't do drugs, I don't drink (single malt is a sacrament not a drink heathens...), but I do engage in hard-core information download/overload as a way of messing with my neurons. I follow some instinctual sense that guides me to what, how much and when. Yesterday I would have said that was soul, but I have had my first nibbles of Ken Wilber and now I'm not sure if it's subtle soul or causal Spirit...anyhow...

Here is an example of what I'm talking about; the heady mix of info flow that I am currently mainlining looks something like this:

Chellis Glendinning: Off the Map -- beautiful, cutting and brutal insight into the effects of colonialism and empire

Coleman Barks: The essential Rumi - ecstatic Sufi poetry/mysticism

T.C. McLuhan: The Way of the Earth - cross-cultural study of how we as human beings relate to the Earth -- currently reading about The Dreaming of Aboriginal Australia

Harrison Owen: The Power of Spirit: How Organizations Transform -- evolving consciousness in organizations by the discoverer of Open Space Technology

Wolkstein and Kramer: Inanna -- translations of Her Stories and Hymns from Sumer

Ken Wilber: One Taste: Daily reflections on Integral Spirituality-- very cool to get to know the dude behind the theories before I get really dug into his solely theoretical stuff (not that this ain't packed with it :))

Diana Whitney & Amanda Trosten-Bloom: The Power of Appreciative Inquiry -- the basic book on what it is and how to do it

Ken Wilber: The Eye of Spirit -- one more from the Brief History of Everything guy-- just dipping into this here and there -- read the chapter on Integral Feminism...will blog about that another time

Shoshanna Zuboff & James Maxmin: The Support Economy -- a thoroughly researched and reasoned case for the current failure of managerial capitalism and an exploration of what might come next

Aleister Crowley: Magick in Theory and Practice -- the classic of Kabalah and Ceremonial Magick from the grandaddy of them all...don't know why I keep doing this to myself--his prose style makes Buckminster Fuller look like a grade one primer...

Fast Company magazine-- current issues-- yep I'm an addict

and, last but not least, Lloyd Alexander: The Book of Three--with Beric and Rowan at bedtime...

Oh yeah...and the twenty or so blogs I keep up with...almost forgot those...

So, that's the input...can't wait to see the infomagitrixical output...
Books...they can be really BAAAAD for your mind ;)

Sweet dreams...

No comments: